Here is an example of using Formidable Pro to display testimonials on your sites.
Create the form
My Formidable Pro testimonials form has three fields: name (text field), photo (file upload), and testimonial (paragraph). Inserting a few testimonials might be nice to do now too.
Create the listings page
- Go to “Pages” -> “Add New” and create your testimonials page
- Go to “New Custom Display” or “Custom Display” -> “Setup new Custom Display Settings”.
- Name the display settings whatever you would like, and give it a description for reference if you would like.
- Select Show: “All entries” unless you would like each testimonial to have a single page with more detail (ie. videos).
- Select your testimonials form from the “Use Data from Form” drop-down.
- I usually opt to insert the content After page content to save an extra step of manually adding the shortcode.
- Select the page you created for your testimonials.
- Add your HTML. This is the HTML I’m using for my testimonials page:
<div class="[evenodd] single_testimonial"> [if photo]<img src="[photo]" class="left">[/if photo] "[testimonial]" <span class="right">- <i>[name]</i></span> <div class="clear"></div> </div>
- Save your display settings, and take a look at your testimonials page
Create the Random testimonial widget
- Follow steps 2 and 3 above.
- Select Show: “Single Entry”
- Use Data from Form: Testimonials. Leave the “Select Entry” drop-down on “The First one depending on the order specified below”.
- Set the Order drop-down to Random.
- Select “Don’t automatically insert. I’ll use the shortcode.” option.
- My HTML for the testimonial widget in the footer of this page is:
<p>"[statement]" — [name]</p>
I’ve added the p (paragraph) tags because the WordPress filtering doesn’t happen automatically when the shortcode is used.
- Save your display settings
- Copy the shortcode for your display settings. eg [display-frm-data id=2]
- Go to “Appearance” -> “Widgets”
- Drag a “Text” widget into your sidebar. (More widgets will be coming to Formidable Pro)
- Insert your shortcode into the text widget and save.